Scotland - Isle of Mull - Kilninian church cross.
Old stone cross at the old church at Kilninian Church. The old church at Kilninian (built 1755, ten years after the Jacobite Rising) but the site of worship with medieval tombstones dating from the 14th century, Kilninian, Isle of Mull, Scotland. church is one of the oldest, and until very recently, still used for worship. Possibly standing on the site of an earlier medieval church, it first appears in the records of 1561, where it is stated that the parsonage of 'Keilnoening' had formerly belonged to the Abbot of Iona, one-third of the revenues going to the Bishop of the Isles as was customary in the diocese. Iona Abbey would have appointed a minister for the church at a stipend lower than the tithes. It is uncertain whether the church was dedicated to St Ninian, the apostle of Galloway, or to a local saint of the Early Christian period'. It is also believed to have been once known as the Chapel of the Nine Maidens and in Gaelic 'Cill Naoi Nighean', although another possible name was The Church of the Holy Maidens - 'Cill Naoimh Nighean...(http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/mull/kilninianchurch/index.html)Add to Cart Add to Lightbox Download